New Year is always regarded as the beginning of new things. With the coming of the New Year, people start making resolutions to encourage themselves to become a better individual and commit lesser mistakes than the previous year. These resolutions often include achieving personal goals, excelling in academics and career, and ensuring physical fitness. Sadly, mental health often takes a back seat.
This is in contrast with the demand of time. Due to hectic schedules in life, cutthroat competition and deadlines at workplace etc., mental disorders like depression and anxiety disorders have become more common than ever. Therefore, it has become important to change people’s perspective toward mental health by spreading awareness, preventing stigmatization of patients and utilizing the occasion of New Year to make resolutions for better mental health.
Maintaining good mental health is relatively easy, unlike physical health that requires people to hit the gym, follow heavy workout sessions, and ensure a strict dietary regime. Following are a set of 15 easy recommendations that a person can do for the well-being of his or her mental health in 2018:
1. Eating healthy: Instead of restricting one’s diet and starving himself or herself to death, eating healthy and maintaining a nutritious diet can ensure the well-being of both physical health and mental health.
2. Sleeping timely: Contrary to the common belief, sleep is not a leisure activity. It plays a significant role in ensuring good mental health. Timely and adequate amount of daily sleep helps in keeping the stress levels low and strengthening the brain.
3. Exercising regularly: It is important to slog in a gym at least for an hour to get sound mental health. Simple exercises, such as walking, running or even cycling, can do the magic. The idea is to stay physically fit, active and alert, which further helps the brain in remaining healthy and strong.
4. Practice experiential therapies: Practicing yoga and meditation not only helps in relaxing and calming the brain, but also in achieving mindfulness.
5. Skip the virtual world: Instead to staying connected with family and friends on the social medial platforms, try meeting them in real. Spending more time with loved ones and sharing both concerns and happiness can boost mental health.
6. Journaling wandering thoughts: Develop the habit of penning down thoughts, ideas, concerns, issues and worries to alleviate stress and find realistic solutions to all problems.
7. Maintaining a work-life balance: Give equal weightage to both work life and personal to find mental peace.
8. Getting plenty of sun: Sunlight, a rich source of vitamin D, is essential for the healthy development of the human brain and body. Additionally, vitamin D catalyzes the release of mood-boosting chemicals like endorphins and serotonin.
9. Spending some “alone time:” A person should take out “alone time” for himself or herself to understand his or her thoughts and feelings. This will help him or her in resolving any complications.
10. Developing a hobby: Pursuing a hobby not only helps in enhancing cognitive skills but also in developing the brain.
11. Surrounding oneself with positivity: Staying positive not only surges good thoughts but also makes one feel unburdened and energetic.
12. Stopping being judgmental: The characteristic of judging others spreads negativity. Moreover, it includes a lot of calculations, comparison and competition that can further add to mental stress.
13. Assessing relationships: It is important to maintain healthy relationships to witness positive impacts on both physical and mental health.
14. Avoiding alcohol: Since alcohol is a depressant, it commonly triggers a range of depressive symptoms in the user. Hence, regular and excessive consumption of alcohol can also cause depression.
15. Prohibiting substance abuse: Substance abuse is one of the prominent triggers of mental disorders. Apart from causing physical harms, it can also lead to mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, etc.
Mental health is as important as physical health. Therefore, one should not hesitate in seeking medical intervention to ensure good mental health. The consultation with a licensed medical practitioner immediately after the onset of any depressive symptoms can lead to early and complete recovery from any kind mental health condition.
If you or your loved one is experiencing any symptoms of an underlying mental disorder, you can seek help from the Colorado Mental Health Help. You can call at our 24/7 helpline number 866-899-5063 to speak to our experts regarding the best mental health treatment centers in Colorado.